Friday, July 18, 2014

Lechon Pork Belly

Having a Filipina wife, we do a lot of hybrid cooking ... yesterday was Lechon Pork Belly ... started it off on the smoker to get a little smoke flavor then moved to the oven ... required a higher temp to cook.


Flavor Rub / Stuffing:
5 gloves crushed garlic
1/2 cup fresh chopped oregano
3 chopped red onions
4 lemon grass stocks split and sliced
1 lemon zested
All the juice from the zested lemon
3 tbsp sea salt
4 tbsp crushed pepper corn medley

Mixed all ingredients together and set to the side to get busy with themselves.

Turned my attention to the pork, trimmed it up. Got it fresh from the butcher that day, he left some of the loin meat on and there were some rib bones left that had to go.


After getting it all trimmed up, I flipped the Belly meat side down, and took my knife and began puncturing the skin ... hoping to keep it from shrinking up to bad. (I need to get a bladed tenderizer - as I didn't get enough holes in the skin). Flipped it back over, rubbed the meat down with the flavor mix, then rolled it up, and tied it. It sat in the fridge over night to allow the spices to blend and for the skin to dry.




The Skin I rubbed down with Kosher Salt to help dry the skin.

Next day, it hit the smoker at 10am for approximately an hour, then was moved into the overn at 375 for 5 hours. At hour five, the temp was bumped up to 425 and it staid in there until we had a crispiness (cracklin) on the skin that we liked.

Pulled it and let it rest for around 45 minutes. Went to cut it and found out that NONE of my knives would work well. As a result my wife OK'd me shopping for a new knife capable of cutting cracking pork skin. (YES, I am open to suggestions).  You can see that it shrunk up a little ... that happens when you don't perforate the skin enough ...




We served the Lechon Pork Belly with fresh cooked Edamame with Sea Salt. And Sweet Potatoes (w/onion, garlic, cinnamon, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper corn for seasoning). My wife had it with rice, as I have cut out the rice (working on weight loss :P) this is my wife's plate.


Turned out awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment