Friday, July 18, 2014

Ribs Unwrapped

June 28th, 2014 Cook

I figured since Kroger had a sale on spare ribs (a rack for $10-12 - I grabbed 6 racks) that I would finally do a little experimenting. I normally wrap my ribs after a few failed attempts early on in my BBQ newbie days. Now armed with a little more experience, better temp control, and an understanding of technique I decided to give ribs unwrapped another try.

Brought the pit up to 225-235 (this is what I've started doing with all my "low and slow" cooks at, had been doing everything at 275 but found that at 275 I needed to wrap them to keep them from getting to dark or burnt, 225-235 not so much).

Put a large water pan on in the back and then loaded one single rack of ribs, meat side down for the first 90 minutes. I initially spritzed the back with Honey Crisp Apple Juice (juiced in my own juicer) and then again every 30 minutes. At 90 minutes I flipped the ribs meat side up and started spritzing roughly every 20 to 30 minutes.

At 3 1/2 hours in I added some butter and then continued spritzing roughly every 20 to 30 minutes (I was inside making home made chili and helping my wife can it).

At around 5+ hours I pulled the ribs to rest ... they past the bend test nicely. No Sauce, No Glaze, just goodness :)

Have to say I was very very happy with the results, as were my wife and my brother.












No comments:

Post a Comment