Friday, July 18, 2014

Mini WSM Smoker Build and Test Cook

Got my mini all built ...

Used a large dish plate to trace a circle onto the bottom of my Vasconia 32 Quart Aluminum Pot (19.00 from Walmart plus $2 for shipping).


Instead of a drill or tin snips I used my Dremel (note - you must use a re-enforced cutting disc as the cheaper ones shatter).






Taped my pot using masking tape... the top of the tape was 4" from the top of the pot.



I marked and drilled holes ever 14.5" around the pot ... 4" from the top and then 1/4" below the indented part of the pot.


Placed my decal (one on each side), put masking tape over each hole on the inside of the pot, then taped off the top using a garbage bag and tape to keep paint from getting on the inside. NOTE - I recommend putting a weight inside the bag so if you are painting outside, the wind doesn't pull the bag up and out over onto your paint.



All went well until this point... my decal had a lot of detail and the paint Metallic Blue engine enamel dried to quickly and also did not want to stay adhered to the stainless steel pot.


Next build I will use some sand paper to rough up the metal first and I will switch to VHT Engine Enamel. I will also use a less detail intensive decal. So after use of an exacto knife and some under the breath cussing I got the decal off and clear coat of engine enamel gloss applied... I put all the nuts and bolts in, and added my thermometer.


Overall, I was happy with the first build. I will do things differently next time for sure.

Burning it in tonight - still figuring out how to build and manager the fire.

Had the opportunity this weekend to field test my Mini WSM for the first time... based on my test I am going to make a couple changes.


Going to modify the water pan and diffuser ring to increase efficiency. Will also be adding a firebox ring.  Will end up looking something like this:



No comments:

Post a Comment