Friday, July 18, 2014

Polynesian Cook

Finally getting a chance to post the results of my Luau Polynesian Cook... was definitely a learning curve. I learned that they like to keep it simple and usually just rub the pork down with 2 types of sea salt. However for this cook the request for was for more flavor by the rest of the people attending.

I hunted around and found something that I thought sounded good for flavor. I was going to inject as well, but was asked not to because they didn't want the pork flavor to be lost. **NEXT TIME I will inject as the flavor on the pork was mild on the back end. Had I injected I think that it would have had the power wow factor. But me being me, honored the request.

Used the following marinade and ingredients / cook. Again - I loved the flavor and how it turned out - just wished the flavor would have been a little strong, hence the reason I want to inject next time.

Polynesian Pork Roast

Pork Injection/Marinade
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
8 crushed garlic cloves
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger root
1 large minced onion
1 cup pineapple juice
1 cup ginger ale

*Mix together, put in a large 2 gallon zip lock bag, and add 1 to 2 pork shoulders - marinade over night.
** Smoked shoulders @250 for 3 hours, then wrapped

To add to Foil Wrap
4 slices of Pineapple
1 thick sliced Onion
1 banana leaf (of a handful of cabbage leaves with some kale mixed in)
Pour in left over marinade

***Wrap and finish cooking @275 - will take around 8 hours total

Marinade made - I tossed in some diced up pineapple cause I had some.


16 Pork Shoulders Marinating


90 minutes into the cook ...



Wrapping the shoulders


Shoulders resting ...


Also cooked 100lbs of de-boned chicken thighs ...


Sorry - didn't get pics of the pulled pork ... we pulled and served it fresh - was awesome good. I will use this again in the future and tweak it. I'll post the chicken marinade in a different post.

No comments:

Post a Comment