Friday, July 18, 2014

Pork Shoulder Unwrapped

This weekend I decided to try a Pork Shoulder Unwrapped and with a modified home made rub (removed sugar from the rub and then sprinkled it on top - about 1/4 cup of raw sugar cane). Working on making my pork more friendly to my diabetic brother.

Heated pit to 225...

While pit was coming to temp - I injected the shoulder with a 1 to 1 mix of Apple Cider Vinegar and Apple Juice.

Let it sit in the fridge for about 30 minutes ... then pulled it out and rubbed it down.

Put it on the pit with a full water pan - kept the water pan topped off the entire cook. The water pan was also about twice the size as I normally use on the little Traeger. My big stick burner I never messed with a water pan but I will say this ... my next weekend cook I am loading it up and trying it out. I LOVED the bark on this and how it turned out!

Cooked it fat cap up the entire time ... the juice just ran down it the entire time ... pulled the shoulder after around 11 hours, when it hit an internal temp of 196F.

Let it rest, pulled it, ate some of it (LOVED IT! - the bark was freaking killer), then froze some for future meals.

***I was worried it would be dry - but was the opposite ... there was a ton of moisture ... if you look at the vacuum sealed bags you can see all the moisture and yummy fats.






No comments:

Post a Comment